If you find yourself uninsured and need medical care, what should you do? If you are reading this, you have taken a good first step. This post is a condensed step-by-step approach to shopping for necessary medical care if you are uninsured.
1) Did you just lose your employer-based insurance? If so, you should be entitled to COBRA which is an option to continue in your employer plan after involuntary separation.
2) Go to benefits.gov to determine if you qualify for public assistance.
3) Have you had a second opinion from a qualified physician?
4) Determine the treatment you need. Your medical doctor should provide you with a specific code that identifies your treatment.
5) Simply input your zip code and procedure code then select Discounted Cash Price in the HealthPriceCompare application to determine the discounted cash price offered by providers in your area.
6) Remember that having medical care on an outpatient basis is usually less expensive than inpatient care.
7) Consider medical tourism. While the COVID-19 situation has put international travel on hold, many high quality providers in other countries focus on providing competitively priced medical services.
©2022 HealthPriceCompare LLC - All Rights Reserved.
CPT© copyright 2022 American Medical Association. All Rights Reserved.